The Maine Forestry Museum collection consists of hundreds of artifacts from regional logging operations, including two snubbing machines, sleds, crosscut and chain saws, the White Brothers’ forerunner of the skidder, and one of the last of the bateau used on the Dead River drives. Our exhibits on traditional art by western Maine lumbermen include the fan towers of William Richard, the model drag drays and logging sleds of Carl Trafton, and the chain saw carvings of Rodney Richard and Rodney Richard Junior. And, we also own the nineteen oil paintings of Alden Grant, grandson of the founder of Grants’ Kennebago Camps that document life in the region’s lumber camps from 1915 to 1928. The Museum property consists of over 100 acres of land which includes 4 miles of hiking trails. The scenic Gull Pond Stream passes through the property and the Museum trails are part of the 740 mile Northern Forest Canoe trail and portage system.
Select Date, Start Time, and Hours to show Price